Thursday, February 25, 2010

Working in Grays


both paintings and the gray scale used to create them



These were created for my 2D Design class as well. They are 12" squares of bristol board painted with acrylic paint, mounted on white mat board. As you can see by the gray scale I included in the first image, there were 7 shades and tints including white and black. The images were painted in opposite shades/tints so anything white becomes black in the second image, anything number 3 becomes number 5. The design was created using a single shape repeated to "make an interesting pattern". It is kinda hard to see the original shape in the project but its there, I promise. I was challenged by keeping the grays consistent throughout because acrylic dries so darn fast. Many times I tried to remix the color so it matched my established gray scale and it took 4 or 5 tries.

1 comment:

  1. so cool! i can see how that would take forever. but you did a great job keeping it consistent. props.

    ReplyDelete